The philosophy of our school and the Council of Parent Participation Preschools is that “play is the basic medium for learning in the early years”. Through meaningful play, children learn to express themselves, to develop a healthy self-concept, to cope with feelings and to solve problems. Basic social skills such as listening, communication, taking turns, sharing, negotiating and compromising are learned as children interact and play. Our purpose is to provide a high standard of pIay based education for our children, as well as offering parent education opportunities.
Why should you choose Jack and Jill Preschool?
- ECE instructors – We employ only highly qualified and enthusiastic Early Childhood Education Instructors. As part of the Council of PPP, our teachers attend monthly professional development seminars to share ideas, to learn and gain new information.
- A low child to adult ratio – The ratio of adults to children in a PPP is far better than any other educational setting in your child’s entire school careeer (3’s class: 1:5; 4’s class: 1:6).
- A great facility – Our school is a self contained building which has many interesting play stations inside for the children to explore and there is an outdoor biking and playground area.
- Very convenient location – We are located right in the heart of lower Gibsons – close to beaches and parks. Lots of available parking.
- Over 40 years in our community – In 2009, Jack and Jill Preschool celebrated 40 years in operation. To teach students about their community we arrange local field trips to the library, post office, beach, Dougal park and other interesting places.
Physical Activity Policy
Jack and Jill Preschool recognized the importance of phyiscal activity for young children. Implementation of appropriate physical activity practices supporting health and development of children in our care, as well as assisting in establishing postive lifestyle habits for the future.
Activity In Our Preschool
The Purpose of this policy is to ensure that children in our care are supported and encouraged to engage in active play, develop fundamental movement skills. Our prechool encourages all children to participate in a variety of daily activity opportunities that are appropriate for their age, that are fun and that offer variety. In order to promote physical activity and provide all children with numerous opportunities for physical activity throughout the classroom time.
Daily Oudoor Play
- Provide a designated safe oudoor play area for all preschool children (ages 3-5 years old) for daily outdoor play
- Provide Preschoolers (ages 3-5 years old) with a least 30 -45 minutes of daily outdoors activity during our 2 hours or 2 1/4 hour program
- We provide dancing and active movement during the class as well. Through music and circle time
- Provide a variety of Play materials (both indoor and outdoor) that promotes physical activity
- We are a indoor and outdoor school which promotes a lot of extra activity for children
Role of the Staff in Physical Activity
- Will encourage children to be physically active indoors and oudoors at appropriate times
- We will provide planned activities and implement act in our program daily
Physical Activity and Punishment
Staff members will not withhold opportunities for physical activities (e.g. not being permitted to play with the rest of the class or being kept from playing, except when a child’s behavior is dangerous to himself or others. The child will be redirected by a staff member to another appropriate activity or choice. Staff will never use physical activity or exercise as a punishment e.g. push ups or running laps. Play time or other opportunities for physical activity are never withheld to enforce the completion of learning activities.Our preschool will use approprIate alternatives as consequence for their negative or undisrable actions. The child be be redirected to another activity that will keep him or others safe.
Screen Time Limitation
Our school doesn’t provide any electronics to children during class time. Except for once a year. We do show “Frosty the Snowman” as a special event at christmas. Children are at our school to learn and explore their environment.
Appropriate Dress For Physical Activities
We at Jack and Jill Preschool have a ready to play Policy !!! Please bring your child ready to play and have fun each class. Your Child will participate in both indoor and outdoor play. Therefore, play clothes and shoes which can get dirty and allow for free and safe movement is important. We expect parents to provide children with appropriate clothing for safe outdoor play during all seasons.We are a preschool that play rain or shine. We would like your child to dress for the weather. We ask parents to please provide good runners with traction for our outdoors play. For safety, children cannot wear open- toe shoes, sandals, or flip-flops.
In the rainy season please provide a good raincoat or rain gear and rain boots.
In the winter season please provide warm jackets, hats mittens and boots.
In the warmer season please provide sun hats, suncreen, light clothing
We ask that all clothing and shoes are labeled.
It is our expectation that children will go out EVERYDAY !!
The only time we wil not go outside is if there is a weather advisory that prohibit outdoor play.